I am a big fan of fighting games. Probably because I grew up playing video games in the 90s and these games dominated the Arcades and console market. As time has passed on the once common genre slowly faded away as screen resolution and graphics improved. Also, first-person shooters took over the industry for a while. Having said that fighting games have always had a strong cult following and I have noticed with the rise of eSports this genre has bounced back with a vengeance.
Mortal Kombat is in its own stratosphere when it comes to fighting games as it mixes comedy and gore and marries the 2 flawlessly. The original trilogy boosted Sega during the console wars by having all of the blood that Nintendo edited out. MK11 keeps the gore and kicks it up to an 11. Skarlet’s fatality shoves a blood spike into the eye of her opponent and the eye pops out the back of the skull! So brutal! Today was gameplay footage reveal day so let me spit some bullet points out at ya:
- Raiden, Scorpion, Baraka, Skarlet, Sub-Zero, Sonya Blade and a new character named Geras were revealed as playable characters.
- Rowdy Ronda Rousey is the voice actress for Sony Blade
- Fatalities look to be insanely brutal
- The Health bar is at the top of the screen and in the bottom left and right corners are the defense and offense special meters.
- When low on health you are able to deal a mega blow kalled “fatal blow” that deals massive damage
- There are endless amounts of ways to Kustomize each character. For instance, Scorpion can don white ninja gear and rock a man bun.
Those are the highlights from the big reveal. We will continue to follow Mortal Kombat 11 as we here about the roster, character leaks, etc. One thing of note, it did not appear the Switch edition had a collector’s edition. Check the gameplay reveal trailer for anything I may have missed.